Made-to-measure curtains & blinds have the power to transform your home. So before making the leap, it’s worth pondering some important options to ensure you make exactly the right choice.
Here are some considerations you may wish to explore before choosing your curtains or blinds:
- Firstly decide if you would like curtains or blinds. Curtains will give a softer and more sumptuous style to your room whereas blinds are more minimalist and functional. Whichever you decide you’ll still find fabrics that will enable you to achieve the look you desire.
2. If you decide on blinds, make sure that they comply with child safety legislation. All blinds made or supplied by Gilroy Interiors will comply with this legislation.
3. Interlining is best described as a vest for your curtains or roman blinds. It will plump out the fabric to give a more luxurious finish as well as minimising drafts. It’s particularly useful for drafty doors and windows.
4. Blackout lining is a must for childrens bedrooms if you want a good nights sleep. In fact I’d recommend it for any bedroom. TV rooms and home cinemas will also benefit from a blackout lining, especially if you’re likely to watch TV or a film during hours of daylight. There are blackout options for both curtains and blinds.
5. How low should my curtains go? If you’re choosing full length curtains and like a touch of drama, puddling your curtains creates an air of luxury and sophistication. Be warned however, they are not a low maintenance option as they need arranging each time you open / close the curtains. If you have children or pets you may want to re-consider. The practical solution is for the curtains to sit 1cm above the floor and so avoid dust & dirt.
6. Sheer Curtains & Blinds will allow much more natural daylight to flood into your room however if you need privacy as well you may like to consider pairing your sheer curtains with a solid blind or sheer blinds with solid curtains, this way you’ll have the best of both worlds.
7. There are many different curtain headings to choose from, all of which can be made in our work room. You’ll find lots of ideas on our Pinterest pages or you may prefer to discuss your ideas with one of our team. The most popular headings are double & triple pinch pleats which will give a formal and neat finish to your room, pencil pleats which can be easily adjusted to your window width and eyelet curtains for a more contemporary mood.
8. Treat your curtains or blinds to some decorative trim to really dress them up. With so many options to choose from, the result will be quite out of the ordinary. Choose from pom poms, braids, tassels and more for a really unique finish.
9. As well as being a distinctive design feature, pelmets help to keep your room cool in the Summer and warm in the Winter. Pelmets are both attractive and stylish and work well with curtains as well as blinds. We can create pelmets from a simple rectangular shape to something much more daring or intricate, you could even design your own
10. Finally, your curtains will need a curtain track or pole. Generally speaking, curtain poles will become more of a feature to your room with a huge choice of finials from demure to flamboyant and all that falls in between. Tracks on the other hand are usually much more subtle although there are some exceptions such as the metropole. Some windows will be more tricky than others such as bay windows but there is always a solution so have a chat with one of our team if you need help making your choice.
Design your own curtains or blinds – click here to start and don’t forget to quote voucher code Spring16 to receive your 25% discount!
Have you subscribed to our newsletter? Keep up to date with the latest window treatment innovations, new fabric collections and all the latest trends. Click here to subscribe.